Wednesday, April 6, 2016

After thoughts of travelling for a month- CHAPTER THREE: MYSTICAL LAND OF CHAANDMATI

CHAPTER THREE: MYSTICAL LAND OF CHAANDMATI

When I reached my home in Mumbai I was rudely welcomed by a notice from our society about plants in the window. They say, ‘water coming down from the plants have defaced the building and are causing safety hazards to members and residents apart from becoming an example to others to start as a dangerous trend’. I’m not making these things up. Those were the exact words of the secretary of our esteemed society that hosts around 700 flats in around 3600 sq mt area including the open spaces. I want to personally go and cut water supply of that person who thought plants deface his/her pigeonhole of a society.
Thankfully I was where there was literally no place for more trees!
I was hung over on my journey to Kathgodam. And when I reached ther it was really hot and I was hungry. But as any hung over person I chose not to eat anything except chai and cigarettes. To make it worse we missed taxis sent for us by the organisers of Sonapani film festival, where we were going. We were in the independent traveller mode by then, and didn’t even care to check with the organisers about means of reaching Sonapani, hang over definitely makes you stupid. After realising that we ventured out to find out our own way to reach our destination. Let me tell you about my humrahi at this point. She is an old and very dear friend. She was living in McLeod ganj before meeting me in Delhi. We know each other very well, but we hadn’t travelled on our own before this. Well, and your humsafar affects a lot how you travel. You should be in sync to have a pleasurable travel, we were at least I thought so. She was feeding me with fruits, namkeen, and other trash and healthy things alternatively, with regular intervals of pure unadulterated water. Thanks to her, I was in a full form in an hour. Don’t think that I was happy because of her only because she was feeding me, she is just a cool person to be with.
Well, after a wait of almost two hours we got the ‘kaali’. Kaali is the name and colour of the bus running on the route from Haldwani to Mauna, Lweshal. When Ashish, the organiser of Sonapani film festival, asked me that we need to board a bus for Mauna Lweshal, I heard it as Monalisa. But the conductor of that bus burst my bubble; I was not going to meet Monalisa. This kaali became a super cool character in our stay at in and around Sonapani. Only two buses run on that route daily. But by some strange coincidence we used to found our beloved kaali many times when we used to stroll around, and mind you when we used to stroll only 5% of the road used to be a tarmac road. So you know how divinely connected we felt with kaali.
Anyways, the hotness of the atmosphere slowly faded away and we were soon on the topsy-turvy roads of lower Himalayas. The frustration of missing the taxi, the hunger, the disappointment of hot weather; faded out as the elevation increased. Soon we reached the gate of Satkhol ashram, our alight point. We had an almost 2.5km of walk in front of us. Thankfully Ashish had sent us two of his employee on motorcycles to pick us up! So bam! We reached Sonapani within minutes. I couldn’t really see around much in the way. Because, being a rider I get very uncomfortable sitting behind anyone. Also, the roads were really up and down, partly off road and partly CCied (I found about this term CC after a few days, or as shishi as the man who guided me to Sonapani when I was not sure. I was craving for a sheeshi bottle. By the way CC means cement concreted, thankfully the only CCied thing in that part)
This was the place where we we got down for Sonapani. The beauty was going to get even more breathtaking.

So, Sonapani. It’s a really cool place filled with warm people.  When we reached there the screening was first film was already started, we hung around with a couple that were staying in that part of the hills for few days. There was also a big and lovely bhutiya dog called Jhumroo. One of the major I want to settle in the hills, or anywhere outside city for that matter, is because I want to have a happy dog! Dogs can’t be truly happy in urban space, but they are too good to let you realise that. I want a big happy dog, and that is my life goal! Jhumroo is a bloody good dog. Sonapani estate is situated on a slope of a valley overlooking a range of Himalayas. The valley is covered in pines, and dark cool shadows of them. There is a plane covered with trees on one side and a valley on the other side, and there is an old white dilapidated mysterious house on the other side of that valley.
On a second night the jungle was threatened by a wildfire. We crossed that house on the way to quench that fire. When the fire was reaching nearer to Sonapani, Ashish asked for volunteers to douse the fire. Of course I was one of the first to raise the hand. I gulped my glass of old monk in one go, and stood ready outside. After half an hour we left with few torches, I had sneaked out another glass by then. It was pitch dark, and dead silent except the cracking of fire with its orange luminous hovering over in the distance. If not for the danger of the fire, this could have been a one of the most romantic setting.  We were running in the direction of the fire. As the lungs started prioritising our limbs over our mouths, the walk grew silent except for the rustle of grass and our jackets and mufflers. Yes, it was a cold night ironically. After walking for 20 or so minutes we reached a patch of land where sparks of fire were seducing the dry grass underneath. We finally saw what we were looking for. The fire was gone, but the dry grass was still burning in its memory. With the small bushes we were carrying, we attacked the fire Romeo soldiers. They gave in to our attacks. The battle had just started. We could see a big fire ahead. With the help of two local boys in Ashish’s team we wade towards the fire, often bending barbed wires of private properties to make our way. Bhai, we were going to finish the love affair of the fire and the forest, these barbed wires can’t stop us.  But it was anti-climatic in the end. When we reached there, other van rakshaks had already got the fire under control. But we were carrying the anti-fire bushes in our hands, and didn’t want to go back without any brave stories of fire fighting. So, we doused even the innocent looking sparks of fire. We won. The walk back, was a pain. Because it was an uphill task, literally. At one point Ashish asked everyone to stop and turn off our torches. Man, that was a place. Yellow-white stars were illuminating in the sky, and bright orange sparks were trying to stay alive on the ground. It was truly a aaj main oopar kinda atmosphere. Maybe I was with the stars, and the stars we just remnants of a wildfire. This smoky kohl filled dark smell; maybe that’s how the hydrogen filled stars smell like.  We returned back and told others stories of how saved the world, cooked on that hot wildfire. That night scraped off all the rust that has accumulated on my recepetors, my journey had truly started then. The rest of experience at Sonapani polished my receptors and made them shiny and chrome. I was feeling like Nux. Witness me!
Every moment at Sonapani was so pure, that’s the thing I loved about that place. No one had any hidden agenda, any qualms; everyone was warm, open and happy.  The three organisers, Ashish, Deepaji and Gurpalji, with their awesome staff, and Ashish and Deepa’s super talented kid Aru, were just giving us masterclass in how to live.

This was the view from Sonapani
and this

We watched many cool films together, by Ram Shetty, Ramchandra CN and Niharika. Many different things to learn from these guys, the main thing was ‘if you want to make a film, just go ahead and make it!’ I got to see their filmmaking mind at rest as well, and also their cool dance moves! The other guests were equally inspiring. Me people who had left their boring urban lives and have settled in the hills, like Gagan and Renu, Arjun and Shalu, and many others. The dream Lee and me are watching for many years. One day, one day. I was talking with Gagan and Arjun over drinks and some other stuff and came to know that Gagan is brother of Gurvinder Singh, one of the best directors of India. Abhivyakti and me screamed like teenage girls! We even watched Chauthi Koot with him in coming days. I was making plans of my travel after Sonapani, but even after the film festival got over I just didn’t want to leave that place. The walks through the jungle, the sunrises and sunsets, the occasional glimpse of Himalayan range, the food, the hosts; it was all so hard to leave. Ashish and Deepaji let me stay there, Gurpalji said that they are having a food festival next week and if I want I can shoot it. Finally I got a valid reason to stay back. The food festival was completely a different ball game. I always used to think that cooking just comes naturally, like you can cook good food or you just can’t. But there I get to see and learn small tips that make anything you are cooking mindblowing. Of course love for cooking was the prime reason that makes the food yummy. But that love starts with chosing the right and good quality ingredients. Chefs were giving everyone tips on when and how to use those ingredients, sprinkled with many interesting anecdotes of their culinary journey. I’m a better cook now, just by watching them in action. Ragini was from Jammu, and she cooked some amazing Jammu and Kashmiri dishes. I thought those dishes were very complicated, there were too many processes going on simultaneously in the kitchen. But she used to start explaining the method with ‘it’s very simple’, every time. That gave a non-cook like me a confidence in trying my hand. My family and friends are going to be my guinea pigs for few months in my kitchen lab now. Ragini is also a very soulful singer. The other chef Megh is an actor, and rode from Mumbai to attend this festival on his Royal Enfield classic chrome 500! What a guy. His thing was he can cook mind-blowing food from anything at all. I’m pretty sure he can cook dust and rust, and make a delicious dish out of it. The highlight of his cooking was pit-cooking session. He dug up a pit, filled it with coal and cooked three raans in it for three hours. It was a rainy day, but he fought with the rain god to make those juicy, flavoursome raans. No one got to a second serving, not because the quantity was less, but everyone stuffed their plates to the brim the first time they served, it was that tempting. Keith was the third chef. He is a dancer, a teacher, and works with some organisations here doing amazing work in education. Me being from a science background loved his cooking methods. Kitchen was turned in to a chemistry lab. He used to weigh everything, measure temperature of everything, time everything, and loved everything. I was shooting the process, but I couldn’t resist myself when the dish was ready. I used to keep my camera aside and dig in. I don’t have even a single shot of final dish, or someone tasting it! I was busy eating by that time. Hats off to these outstanding chefs, and even great human beings.
Two weeks ended in a flash. It was my time to go. Two of my friends, Balaji and Vivek, from Sonapani film festival had gone to a place called Kasar Devi. Vivek messaged from there that ‘this is the place!’ I woke up late on the day when I was supposed to leave. I had already said goodbyes to Ashish, Deepaji, Gurpal, Gagan, Taran (funny thing here, I met Taran at the food festival. After two days we realised that Taran’s husband Asad, and my wife Lee are colleagus! Such is a magic of Sonapani), and Asad. When I stepped out the sky was dark, and drizzling. It was a sad morning. I got a lift till Satkhol ashram gate. A shopkeeper at the junction, who had become a well acquaintance by now, told me that there is one bus coming after an hour or so which will take me to Mauna, from there I’ll have to find a transport to Kwarab, from Kwarab I will get another bus to Almora, and from Almora I will have to find some local transport to Kasar Devi. A long journey ahead, and rain had increased. We sat at that shop, sipping cups of chai. I had met a bunch of locals at this shop few days ago. They were the farmers, and used to produce peaches, plums and other fruits. They told me about the dire state of agriculture, and the reasons why people are leaving their village and hunting for jobs in cities. But that farmer was an optimist, and very content person. He never complained, he just stated these things. His one advice is going to stay with me forever- Jo ho raha hai use hone do, jo ho gaya use bhul jao. And mind you this advice didn’t have a passive or frustrated tone. He had lived with nature and that’s the way nature works.
I was leaving this behind

My bus came, I looked around one last time and boarded it. As soon as I set foot in the bus, the speakers of the bus started blasting ‘badan pe sittare lapete hue!’ nad just after a first turn clouds evaporated away. It was sunny. The journey was going to be fun. Jo ho raha hai use hone do!


No comments: